Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick Review

A misguided attempt to bring the power of Windows 10 to affordable hardware

Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.

Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick

Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick

Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

What We Like
  • Noiseless 

• Fits in pocket

• Runs Windows 10 professional

What We Don't Like
  • Atom X5-Z8350 too weak for everyday use

• Runs at 60 degrees Celsius

• No audio outputs

While the T6 Mini PC Stick is certainly portable, its underpowered processor is a poor match for the beefy Windows 10 OS it carries, leaving the device with long loading times and limited production capabilities. 

Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick

Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick

Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

We purchased Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick so our expert reviewer could thoroughly test and assess it. Keep reading for our full product review.

Mini PCs have really taken off in the past few years, and the stick PC’s are the ultimate culmination of that trend. Terryza has an ambitious entry into the market, the T6 Mini, that’s meant to rival Intel’s entry-level Compute Stick. For $130, the T6 offers a full version of Windows 10 Professional, but with its lackluster performance, it’s hard to argue whether it offers much else.

Design: Small enough to fit into your pocket

The tiny T6 Mini PC is so small it fits in the palm of my hand. When you pull it out of your pocket, people are bound to be impressed not just by its diminutive size, but also by its honeycomb texture and elegant black finish. On the top, the stick is a glossy black that’s a bit of a fingerprint magnet, while the bottom has a matte black finish. 

On each side, there are vents for hot air to escape, but based on how hot the stick gets, the company should have put more thought into the thermal design. Thankfully, its I/O ports have a great selection, with one USB 3.0, one USB 2.0, and a microSD port you can use to expand the stick’s 64GB of storage. On the tip, there’s an HDMI port to connect it to your display.

The cables it comes with are really short. The included male-female HDMI cable is about 6 inches in length, not long enough for the stick’s bottom to rest on my desk (the cable was connected to the back of my computer monitor). Similarly, the power cord is about 5 feet long, too short for many setups. If you want to swap out the power cord, you can use a micro USB cable and attach it to a power brick of similar specs as the one in the box.

Terryza T6 Mini PC Stick
Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

Performance: Too slow for modern use

This little PC is noticeably slower than my Samsung Chromebook 3 from 2018. When I bought that Chromebook, it was easy to find for $100. By comparison, this PC stick is $130. Any action I took in the PC stick would take a second or two, even when I had just a single program open. Go from My Documents folder to My Pictures folder? Six seconds. Open a new tab in Chrome? Fifteen seconds. Use Spotify and Firefox at the same time? Unthinkable. I felt like I was using a machine from 2010.

A big contributor to the T6 Mini’s lackluster performance, aside from its hardware, is its operating system. Terryza chose to install Windows 10 Professional; yes, this is a very versatile OS, but it’s only the right choice if the system can handle it. 

Windows 10 S, a cloud-based and lightweight version of Windows, would have been a more appropriate choice for this hardware. Chrome OS or a user-friendly flavor of Linux would have also been great choices to keep the computer’s load low. It simply needs a stronger processor than the Cherry Trail Atom if it wants to run Windows 10 Pro. That bodes poorly for its productivity and its longevity, as components continuously operating at load wear out faster.

Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

When I tried firing up some 4k videos on Youtube, they couldn’t play. Period. At 1080p, they played at about 10 frames per second. Youtube defaulted to 240p. If you want to game on this, either directly or through a streaming service, don’t. You’ll be lucky to run Google Docs smoothly on this thing. 

If you really, truly need Windows, and you don’t have more than $150 to spare and you really want a PC stick, at least get the official Intel Compute Stick, but I’m not promising it runs much better than this one, since they’re basically the same hardware components (the difference with the Intel Compute Stick is you’ll get a warranty and it might have better longevity). 

Below I’ve included the T6’s benchmark scores in several programs. If you were considering this product for word documents and Netflix, PCMark 10’s Essentials and Productivity tests will be most relevant to you. The T6 is useable for these tasks, but expect to wait 10 seconds or more for basic programs to launch or take major actions.

T6 Mini Benchmarks
Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

Connectivity: Supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 

The T6 does not have an Ethernet port, so it has to rely on Wi-Fi for an internet connection. Unsurprisingly, it has terrible download and upload speeds. Typically, you can expect to see 14.5Mbps download speed, 5.4Mbps upload speed, and 19ms of ping. 

For comparison, my $1,500 high-end desktop PC has speeds of 53.9Mbps for downloads, 6Mbps for uploads, and 8ms ping. In practice, the high-end PC loads pages almost instantly, whereas the T6 can take over 20 seconds on some webpages. Loading my Steam library took over a minute. 

If you want to connect peripherals to the T6, it does have a reliable Bluetooth 4.2 connection. I had no trouble connecting a mouse and keyboard this way, and they didn’t drop out during testing.

Audio: It’s what you make of it

There is no dedicated audio port on the T6, so you’ll have to rely on a USB-compatible or Bluetooth solution. I tested the audio via an xDuoo XD-05 Headphone Amp and a pair of OPPO PM-3 headphones. Because the amp is also a DAC (Digital to Audio Converter), it processes the audio signal for the stick PC, so there were no problems with the audio. Generally, if it’s an audio device that connects with Bluetooth or USB, there’s a good chance it has its own DAC. 

Price: The bargain isn’t worth the pain 

The T6 costs $130, and you get two USB ports and a MicroSD slot to show for it. The Cherry Trail processor is actually a decent CPU for the price, but you can easily get a better one by buying refurbished or from last-gen tech. At this price point, every dollar counts, so if you can spare $10, $20, or $30, it can make a noticeable difference in performance.

Lifewire / Emily Ramirez

Competition: Numerous better options

A PC Stick is a jack-of-all-trades device, so a better alternative to the T6 depends on why you want the device. If it’s the OS, the form factor, and price that entices you, you should get a comparable Intel Compute Stick for the customer support benefits, although performance won’t be much better. If you have money to spend, you can look at Intel’s Core-m3 model (see on Amazon) for a great experience.

If you’re willing to stray from Windows 10, the ASUS Chromebit is a Chromebook in a stick (see on Amazon). While it’s not a trailblazer, it will outperform the T6 in speed thanks to its lightweight OS.

If you just want a small PC, then there are non-stick options with better value. This Refurbished HP PC (see on Amazon) will offer much better performance for $160. If you have more money to burn, the Intel NUC is a great mini machine. Intel’s NUC PCs are known for their good performance in a small form factor, and this one offers an 8th-gen Core i3 CPU for $370 (see on Amazon).

Final Verdict

Hard to recommend over more functional alternatives. 

Unless you specifically need a sub-$150 Windows 10 PC Stick, using the T6 is too frustrating of an experience to recommend. Many design compromises have lead to an incredibly slow device that is only useful in certain niche circumstances. If you’re willing to stray from these parameters, there are many options out there that will provide a smoother experience.

Specs

• Product Name T6 Mini Stick
  • Product Brand Terryza
  • Price $160
  • Release Date May 2019
  • Product Dimensions 3.9 x 1.5 x 0.5 in.
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional
  • CPU Intel Atom X5-Z8350
  • Burst Frequency 1.92 GHz
  • Cache 2 MB
  • Processor Base Frequency 1.44 GHz
  • Power Consumption 1.4nm
  • GPU Intel HD Graphics
  • Memory 4GB DDR3L RAM
  • Storage 64GB eMMC
  • Ports 1 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, 1 MicroSD, 1 HDMI (supports HEVC (H.265 @ 4K), H.264 A5.1, SVC, VP8 1080P, VP8 4K, VP8 Stereo, MPEG4 ASP/SP, AVS, BD2.4, H.263)
  • Connectivity WiFi AC 2.4G/5G, Bluetooth 4.2