How to Fish in Minecraft

Catch food and treasure on demand

Fishing in Minecraft is a relaxing activity that can yield some useful items, like treasure and, of course, fish. It's a great option if you're having trouble keeping your hunger at bay during the early game, as you can eat raw fish without any risk of food poisoning. If you're ready to start fishing, all you need to do is gather some wood, some string, set up a crafting bench, and you'll be ready to make your first fishing rod. After that, it's a simple matter of finding some water and tossing in your line.

Fishing in Minecraft

How to Fish in Minecraft

In Minecraft, fishing is a very simple mini game. Once you have procured a fishing rod, all you have to do is cast, wait for a fish to bite, and then reel in. Casting and reeling are both accomplished by pressing the use item button, and you don't have to worry about bait, lures, or any other complications.

Here's how to fish in Minecraft:

  1. Obtain a fishing rod, and locate a body of water.

    A screenshot of a pond in Minecraft.
  2. Equip the fishing rod, and face the body of water.

    A screenshot of fishing in Minecraft.
  3. Cast the fishing line using your use item button:

    • Windows 10 and Java Edition: Right click.
    • Pocket Edition: Tap the Fish button.
    • Xbox 360 and Xbox One: Press the left trigger.
    • PS3 and PS4: Press the L2 button.
    • Wii U and Switch: Press the ZL button.
    A screenshot of casting in Minecraft.

    If you successfully cast, you will see a bobber appear in the water.

  4. Look for bubbles on the surface of the water. When a fish is about to bite, you will see an additional line of bubbles speed toward the bobber.

    A screenshot of fishing in Minecraft.
  5. When the bobber sinks below the water, reel in using your use item button:

    • Windows 10 and Java Edition: Right click.
    • Pocket Edition: Tap the Fish button.
    • Xbox 360 and Xbox One: Press the left trigger.
    • PS3 and PS4: Press the L2 button.
    • Wii U and Switch: Press the ZL button.
    A screenshot of reeling in a fish in Minecraft.

    If you miss the bite and don't reel in, you can just leave your line in the water and wait for the next fish.

  6. Depending on what you catch, it may appear in your hand, or it may land on the ground somewhere in your vicinity. If you want to continue fishing, switch back to your fishing rod and cast again with your use item button.

    A screenshot of a fish in Minecraft.

Catching Fish and Treasure in Minecraft

When you go fishing in Minecraft with a regular fishing rod, each cast has an 85 percent chance of catching a fish. You can catch cod and salmon in lakes, ponds, rivers, and player-made bodies of water, and both of those along with the addition of tropical fish and pufferfish are available from oceans.

In addition to the 85 percent chance of catching fish, you also have a 10 percent chance of reeling in some junk and a 5 percent chance of catching some treasure. These percentages can be changed if you enchant your fishing rod.

Some treasures you can catch include enchanted books, name tags, and saddles, all of which are difficult to find otherwise. You can also find bows and fishing rods. For trash, you can haul in a variety of items from rotten flesh to slightly more useful items like bones and water bottles.

How to Get a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

To get a fishing rod in Minecraft, you have to craft it using a crafting table. First make and place your crafting table, then obtain at least three sticks, and finally obtain at least two strings. You're then ready to craft your own fishing rod.

  1. Obtain at least three sticks and two strings, and open the crafting table interface.

    A screenshot of the Minecraft crafting table interface.
  2. Place your sticks and strings in this pattern.

    A screenshot of the fishing pole recipe in Minecraft.
  3. Move the fishing rod from the crafting output to your inventory.

    A screenshot of a fishing pole in Minecraft.

How to Get String in Minecraft

The materials required to make a fishing rod in Minecraft are sticks and string. Sticks are easy, since you make them from trees, but string takes a little more work. String is a useful material that's used to make things like leashes, bows, and fishing rods. You can obtain string by finding cobwebs in locations like underground mines and other structures, or by killing spider mobs.

Here's the easiest way to get string:

  1. Locate a spider.

    A screenshot of a spider in Minecraft.

    Spiders commonly spawn at night, and they can also spawn in any poorly or unlit location. If you're using Minecraft cheats, you can also use the command /spawn spider to make one appear.

  2. Attack and defeat the spider.

    A screenshot of fighting a spider in Minecraft.
  3. Pick up any string that drops.

    A screenshot of string in Minecraft.

How to Enchant a Fishing Rod in Minecraft

You can start fishing right away once you have a fishing rod, but enchanting your rod can make it easier to catch rare treasures, reduce the amount of time it takes for a fish to bite, and add other useful traits. To enchant a fishing rod, you'll need an enchanting table and a decent amount of experience points.

  1. If you don't already have an enchanting table, make one using this recipe.

    A screenshot of the Minecraft enchanting table recipe.
  2. Interact with your enchanting table to open the enchantment interface.

    A screenshot of an enchanting table in Minecraft.

    Surrounding your enchanting table with bookshelves increases its power.

  3. Place a fishing pole in the left box in the enchant interface.

    A screenshot of the Minecraft enchant interface.
  4. Place lapis lazuli in the right box in the enchant interface.

    A screenshot of fishing rod enchantments in Minecraft.

    If one or more options are grayed out, you don't have enough experience or haven't inserted enough lapis lazuli. Go earn enough experience to select the enchantment that you want.

  5. Locate the enchantment you want, and click it.

    Enchantment options in Minecraft.
  6. Transfer the enchanted fishing pole to your inventory.

    An enchanted fishing rod in Minecraft.

Fishing On Demand in Minecraft

You can fish in any body of water in Minecraft, which means you're free to cast your line in any pond, stream, or even the ocean. If you're off adventuring, and there aren't any bodies of water handy, you can also create your own fishing hole. Just carry along a single bucket of water, and you'll have a never-ending supply of fish for emergency food wherever you go.

Here's how to fish anywhere in Minecraft:

  1. Make sure you have a fishing rod and a bucket of water before you leave your base.

  2. If you want to fish but can't find a body of water, dig a one block hole.

    A screenshot of mining in Minecraft.

    You can do this anywhere, even underground or in your base.

  3. Empty your bucket in the hole

    A screenshot of making a fishing hole in Minecraft.
  4. Face the single block of water, and cast your line.

    A screenshot of casting a fishing line in Minecraft.
  5. Wait for the bobber to drop under water, and reel in.

    A screenshot of catching a fish in a one block fishing hole in Minecraft.
  6. When you've caught your fill of fish, scoop up the water and continue on your way.

    A screenshot of underground fishing in Minecraft.
Was this page helpful?